CONCH LAMBI....a great traditional Haiti food recipe....!
- 1 1/2 pounds shelled conch, cleaned, skinned
- 2 limes, halved
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled, halved, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced shallots
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 Scotch bonnet chili, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice
Pound the conch to 1/8-inch thick with a mallet; cut it into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place the conch in a medium bowl; squeeze the limes over the top.
Add the lime rinds and water to cover. Cover and refrigerate 1-1 1/2 hours. Drain and discard the rinds. In a Dutch oven or large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, garlic and shallots and sauté until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato, water, tomato paste,
thyme, minced chili and conch. Heat over medium to boiling; reduce the heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, until the conch is fork tender,
45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The haiti food recipe is ready to serve over hot cooked rice. Nice and delicious !